I have a box of faux leather that has been sitting in a corner of my crafting room for months. I didn’t open it for who knows how long. My initial idea was to try to make leather baby shoes and share the tutorial here on my blog.
But because of a lack of my inspiration and time, the box stayed exactly the same since I’ve got it. But somehow I knew the time will come and we will do something awesome with it.
Newborns usually don’t need a firm sole on their “shoes” since they aren’t walking yet and it would be probably too heavy for their tiny little feet.
A great alternative to that are crochet or knitted baby booties that are in my opinion more socks than a real pair of shoes. They are usually soft and gentle on their feet, even if they are wearing them on the naked skin, like crochet sandals or moccasins.
Today we’re going to create baby booties with a soft leather sole. Since I am not a big fan of real leather (using animal products for my DIY – with an exception of using a yarn with a percentage of wool or merino yarn every thousand years), I will use a faux leather that is a nice imitation of real one but doesn’t hurt animals.
First off, we’re going to cut the sole from the piece of leather and punch some holes into it with a hole puncher.
There are two ways how to use a faux leather sole on your crochet booties. Your first available option is to sew the sole on the top of your crochet one as you will see in this tutorial. The second option is to make your first round of upper part directly into holes of the leather sole. In this case, the leather sole will replace the crochet one.
This tutorial is pretty easy to understand and is beginner friendly.
Once you finish your project, make sure you share it with all of us on Instagram using #crobypatterns, so we can see it and give it a big like.
Watch this video and follow the step by step tutorial to learn how to make this adorable crochet baby booties from start to finish. Please consider subscribing to my channel, turning on post notification and joining my crochet family on YouTube.
YOU WILL NEED:
- YARN: Chunky weight yarn – Paintbox Simply Chunky – this is 100% Acrylic yarn, there is 100 g (3.5 oz) and 136m (149yds) of yarn in one skein. I used two colors: Buttercup Yellow (322) and. Champagne White (302). You can find the yarn here.
- CROCHET HOOK: 6.0 mm or J/10 crochet hook or a hook to obtain the gauge.
- OTHER: two stitch markers, tapestry needle, and scissors, faux leather, hole puncher.
*The pattern was originally made with a different yarn DROPS Eskimo which is not so soft on the skin and harder to find and buy.
STITCHES AND ABBREVIATIONS:
- sl st – slip stitch
- ch – chain stitch (VIDEO)
- sc – single crochet (VIDEO)
- hdc – half double crochet (VIDEO)
- dc – double crochet (VIDEO)
- dc2tog – double crochet 2 together
- SIZE: 0 – 6 months (available below)
- Use stitch markers to indicate your important stitches (first stitch of the row/round, where to start the next segment of the pattern …).
- How to read a pattern:
- If the number is written before the stitch 3 hdc work 3 hdc into the same stitch.
- If the number is written after the stitch hdc 3, work hdc into next 3 stitches.
- Repeat what is written in the ( ) as many times as it’s written right after the ( ). For example; Repeat (2 hdc, hdc 1) 5 times. It means that you have to repeat the sequence work 2 hdc sts into the same st, 1 hdc into the next one 5 times. And you will get 5 additional stitches by doing that.
- The chain at the beginning of the round/row does not count as a stitch unless otherwise stated in the pattern.
- The slip stitch at the end of the round/row does not count as a stitch unless otherwise stated in the pattern.
- The pattern is written in US crochet terms.
- Skill level: Easy/Medium
- There are all kinds of possibilities for color combinations. Choose your favorite colors for this project.
Free Crochet Pattern For Baby Booties – Crochet Baby Booties With A Leather Sole
Start with a beige yarn. Ch 6. Start in the 2nd ch from the hook.
Round 1: 2hdc. Hdc 3. 6 hdc sts into the same ch. Continue on the opposite side of the ch. Hdc 3. 2hdc. Ss.
Round 2: Work 2 hdc into next 2 sts. Hdc 3. Work 2 hdc into next 6 sts. Hdc 3.Work 2 hdc into last 2 sts. Ss.
Round 1: Ch 1.Hdc 26. Ss.
Round 2: Ch 1. Sc 8. Hdc 1. Repeat dc2tog 4 times. Hdc 1. Sc 8. Ss.
Round 3: Ch 1. Sc 7. Hdc 1. Repeat dc2tog 3 times. Hdc 1. Sc 7. Ss.
Round 4: Ch 1. Hdc 19. Ss.
Round 5: Ch 2. Dc 19. Ss.
Round 6: Ch 2. Dc 19. Ss.
Thread a needle with a yellow yarn and make a hem using a blanket stitch.
Take a strand of yarn and make a small knot on both sides of it.
Weave in and out of the half double crochet stitches of round 4. Tie in a bow in front.
Take the piece of leather cut two pieces in the shape of the sole. They have to be the right size, no too small and not too big. Make 20 holes into the sole just a few millimeters from the edge and sew the leather sole on the crocheted one with the beige yarn.
Hide all the ends and you are done! 🙂
The following post might use affiliate links. Purchasing through these links earns me a small commission with no extra cost to you. This is one of the ways I earn money so I can make my patterns available for free here on my blog. Thanks!